Bowel Preparation Instructions
Please follow the instructions that were given to you by Dr. Fergani and our receptionists. If you have misplaced them, you can find the instructions below but you must ensure they correspond to the prescription (Rx) given to you by Dr. Fergani. If you are unsure, please do not hesitate to contact us at 905-297-8434.
St. Joseph's Hospital - Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy (PegLyte)
Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy (PegLyte)
at St. Joseph's Hospital
LOCATION: 50 Charlton Ave E, Hamilton, ON L8N 4A6
Endoscopy Unit - 3rd Floor of the MARY GRACE wing
DATE & TIME: Please note the date and check-in time given to you by one of our receptionists.
Please call Dr. Fergani’s office at least 2 days prior to confirm your procedure:
- Blood Thinners: If you are taking blood thinners, follow the instructions given to you by Dr. Fergani during your consultation.
- Iron Products: Stop taking iron supplements 5 days before your scope.
REMINDER: YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE A RIDE HOME.
YOU WILL BE AT THE HOSPITAL FOR A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY.
It is preferred that your driver stays in the hospital during the duration of your appointment. If they are unable to stay for the appointment, a staff member will call your driver when you are ready to be picked up. Your driver MUST come up to the Endoscopy Unit to pick you up. You cannot leave the unit by yourself. If you are taking a taxi/Uber/Lyft, someone still has to ride with you.
If you were given the PegLyte Rx, please follow the instructions below:
** THE DAY BEFORE YOUR GASTROSCOPY & COLONOSCOPY: **
- You can have a light breakfast (eg: toast, eggs, coffee, tea). Avoid cereal and bread that is high-fiber with nuts or seeds in it. This will be your last meal until after your procedure is done.
- After Breakfast:
You will have clear fluids only. (eg: water, ginger-ale, apple juice, clear broth, clear sodas, clear light coloured Gatorade/Powerade)
- At 5:00 PM:
- Begin drinking the PegLyte drink. Mix as directions advise. Drink at least 1 cup of the prep drink every 20 minutes. You may notice a mild nausea or have a full feeling. This is normal.
- You will start having loose, watery bowel movements. Keep drinking the rest of the prep drink. If you are having problems drinking, change from 1 cup every 20 minutes to 1 cup every 30 minutes.
- At 7:00 PM:
Take the 2 Dulcolax (bisacodyl) tablets. This is a stool softener. (You may have 4 tablets, but you only need to take the 2 unless told otherwise by the doctor.)
- CONTINUE DRINKING THE REST OF THE PEGLYTE SOLUTION UNTIL IT IS ALL GONE.
** THE DAY OF YOUR SCOPE: **
- YOU CAN CONTINUE CLEAR FLUIDS ONLY UP TO 6 HOURS BEFORE YOUR CHECK-IN TIME.