Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy (Pico-Salax) at HEC
LOCATION: 40 James St. South, Hamilton, ON L8P 2X8
DATE & TIME: Please note the date and check-in time given to you by one of our receptionists.
Please call Dr. Fergani’s office at least 2 days prior to confirm your procedure:
* If you leave a voicemail, the message will not be returned as we will take this message as your confirmation. Thank you.
Please bring your HEALTHCARD to check-in.
* Do not bring any other valuables with you to your appointment. The HEC is not responsible for lost items.
* Upon arrival, you will need to provide the name and phone number of the person picking you up. Without this your procedure may be cancelled!
Blood Thinners: If you are taking blood thinners, follow the instructions given to you by Dr. Fergani during your consultation.
Iron Products: Stop taking iron supplements 5 days before your scope.
REMINDER: YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE A RIDE HOME.
YOU WILL BE AT THE CLINIC FOR A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY.
IF TAKING A TAXI/UBER/LYFT, SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE DRIVER HAS TO RIDE WITH YOU.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIDE HOME, OUR STAFF WILL CANCEL YOUR PROCEDURE.
CANCELLATION POLICY: 3 Business days is required if cancelling or changing your procedure date. Messages left on Friday evenings and weekends will not be retrieved until Monday, and therefore do not count.
If you were given the PICO-SALAX Rx, please follow the instructions below:
** THE DAY BEFORE YOUR GASTROSCOPY & COLONOSCOPY: **
- Have breakfast as usual the DAY BEFORE your procedure. This will be your last meal until after your procedure is done.
- After Breakfast:
Stay on a clear fluid diet. (eg: apple juice, clear sodas, clear broth, clear Gatorade).
- At 2:00 PM:
Take the 2 Dulcolax tablets (generic name: Bisacodyl). You may have 2 tablets remaining.
- At 5:00 PM:
Mix one sachet of PICO-SALAX with 5oz (150ml) cold water and stir frequently for 2 to 3 minutes. Finish the solution and then drink a minimum of 4 glasses of clear fluids. You can drink 1 glass every 30 minutes. You are encouraged to continue drinking clear fluids.
** THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE: ** (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)
- 6 Hours BEFORE your check-in time:
Mix the second sachet of PICO-SALAX with 5oz (150ml) cold water and stir frequently for 2 to 3 minutes. Finish the solution and then drink a minimum of 4 glasses of clear fluids. Try to finish all of these fluids within 1-2 hours maximum.
- You MUST be fasting a MINIMUM of 4 HOURS BEFORE your check-in time!
*NOTE: Doing the second sachet of the PICO-SALAX the day of your procedure means you may have to wake up very early!
For example: Your procedure arrival time is at 10:00 a.m. You must be up around 4:00 am to do the second sachet of Pico-Salax. You will complete drinking all the required fluids in 1-2 hours. By 6:00 am you should have finished all fluids and be completely fasting.